I remember a time when a few cheap balloons from the supermarket and a store bought sponge cake were enough to signify a party. These days it’s very different and that is a great thing. We’re becoming more creative with our party themes, favours and decorations and we’re celebrating in style! As it’s not unusual for party planners to be given budgets to rival weddings for children’s birthday parties and other celebrations, we thought it was time to give you some tips to create a celebrity-worthy party without the crazy budget.
Australia’s number one party decorations shop Pink Frosting has been involved in birthday parties, christenings and baby showers to rival any party given by Britney Spears, Elton John or Tom Cruise that have the budget of a wedding and the styling to match. But our favourite celebrations are ones that are heart-felt and match the budget that fits the family. Pink Frosting would hate to see anyone overspend on a party and then have a debt to pay. The Pink Frosting team offers some great party planning tips to help you host your party like the stars but without over-spending:
- Everyone loves candy! One of the key trends of the moment is a candy bar where you buy lots of different kinds of lollies and assemble them in different containers and lay them out on a table. Give all of your guests a lolly bag and let them scoop in their favourite treats. Celebrities are using Dessert Bar specialists like Amy Atlas to create wonderful candy bars for their events, but you can get inspiration for the colours online and then create a fun candy bar yourself.
- Hold the party at home. One of the biggest expenses for any event is the venue hire, so if you hold the party at home, you’re already on your way to creating a more budget-friendly party. You also get to decorate over many days, rather than having a small space of time to get ready at a hired venue.
- Have the guests decorate their own cakes! Suri Cruise’s recent birthday party was a cupcake themed party where the kids decorated their own cupcakes. This is seriously one of the best ideas for entertaining kids at a party and you don’t even need to decorate a cake yourself! There’s no reason why this also wouldn’t work for adult celebrations like bridal showers or hens parties – give the guests a theme and ask them to decorate their own cakes in the theme. Fun!
- You don’t need to hire entertainment. These days, your iPod can do most of the work for you. With a little bit of work and the Genius tool, you can create a fun music list that suits the theme of the party and makes everyone get into the celebratory mood.
- Balloons are making a come-back! Big bulbous balloons and lanterns are the best way to create a beautiful party atmosphere and you won’t break the bank. Go overboard with hundreds of helium filled balloons (do this yourself with a hired helium canister) and hanging lanterns. You seriously won’t spend more than $100 filling the ceilings of most rooms this way. Add some paper bunting around the outside of the walls, and voila – you have a spectacular party space.
- Party favours don’t have to be expensive. They are a great idea because they are a reminder to your guests of the fun they had at the celebration. Stores like www.PinkFrosting.com.au and Baby Showers Australia have hundreds of options for favours under $5.00 each and include personalised lollipops, customised candy and fun practical gifts.
The most important tip is to always give your party from the heart. A party isn’t about how much money you spent on the presents or decorations, it’s about enjoying time with the people you love the most.